Frequently asked questions

e-Waste Business Related

Is e-waste recycling activity profitable?

If done in the right way, e-waste recycling activity is definitely profitable. You can expect an ROI of anywhere between 35-65% depending on the type of e-waste you can collect. You may see more info on this blog : How to set up an e-waste recycling business

How easy is the recycling business to operate?

From an operations perspective, it is a fairly straightforward process. Assuming that you have the raw material and the labour in place, the operational process is a well defined and predictable one.

How difficult is the e-waste recycling business?

e-Waste recycling business is exactly as difficult as any other business. It has the same types of risks and requires the same entrepreneurial skills.

How much land is required for the project?

There is a general thumb rule that for every 1 ton of collection per day, you need 500 sq mtrs (approx 5000 sq ft) of space. While this is not hard and fast, the State PCB authorities go by this general rule. Respose machinery requires about 800-1000 sq ft for an entry level plant. Apart from the machinery, you will require space for parking, unloading, warehousing, dismantling, administrative area, utility area etc. All put together, for a project of capacity of about 500 tons a year you will need a built up area of around 6000-8000 sq ft and a plot area depending on the local FSI regulations. We typically recommend about 20,000 sq ft so that it can take care of future expansion also.

What is the typical complete project cost?

Typical project cost includes land, building, machinery, labour, raw material, and other operating expenses. Respose machinery costs anywhere between 15 Lakhs to 1.5 Cr depending on project size and plant configuration. Land and building costs are variable depending on mode of purchase and the location. All Operating costs including labour, raw material, power etc cost around 40 lakhs per month (Can vary depending on local labour rates and collection targets). (Please refer detailed project report for comprehensive financial analysis)

What is the minimum project size for the ewaste recycling business to be successful?

Minimum project should be of a 500 kg per day capacity. Such project will cost around 45-50 lakhs. (Complete project cost)

Is there a minimum regulatory prescription for the land area?

There is a thumb rule followed by state pollution control boards that for collection of 1 ton per day, the minimu space requried is 500 sq mtrs or 5000 sq feet. This is NOT a rule as of now. However it may figure in the guidelines release soon.

Is there a minimum construction required?

There is no minimum construction per se. However the above mentioned thumb rule may be interpreted to mean a constructed area and not open land. So it is better to stick to the above mentioned number of 500 sq mtrs.

How can I claim carbon credits against this business?

There is an elaborate procedure for claiming Carbon Credits or CERs. The project needs to be registered with the UNFCCC as a CDM project. Thereafter, an external will evaluate the performance of the project and give a report on the credit points or CERs earned. The CERs earned can be sold to any willing buyer. We can help you to get in touch with the right people.

What is the content of a single PCB?

Every PCB is different. There is no standard or fixed content for a PCB. PCBs of different equipment are different and consist of different components. Hence their composition is different. However in general it can be said that a PCB contains metals such as Copper, Aluminium, Gold, Silver, Tin, Lead, Nickel, Zinc, etc.

What is the output of Respose e-waste recycling machinery?

The output of Respose e-waste recycling plant is in terms of 3 separate fractions - Ferrous metal, non ferrous metal and epoxy and plastic powder. Depending on the upstream processes followed the non ferrous metal fraction may be a mixture of all metals or can be copper if a depopulator is used and only base boards are processed. Rest of the components on the board can be sold or processed separately.

What should I do about precious metals?

The current respose plant does not separate precious metals. We recommend to use a depopulator to separate components with precious metals and sell them separately to recyclers having the facility to recover the precious metals. We are currently in the process of developing an Indianized technology for precious metal recovery.

Where can the epoxy and plastic granules be used?

Epoxy and plastic granules have applications in road building, concrete mix, model making, creating different types of sport turfs, etc.

What should we do with the CRTs?

CRTs, after dismantling should be given to a CRT recycler.

What happens to non recyclable material such as batteries?

Batteries are recyclable in specialised battery recycling machines. Batteries can be given away to battery recyclers.

What about the final waste remaining after the process?

The final remnants of the recycling process can be given to an authorised land fill. This is usually less than 5 % of the collection.

e-Waste Regulations Related

What is the process to get the required licenses and clearances for starting an e-waste recycling business?

First you need to get your company stablished as per the Indian Companies Act. Apply for the SSI license through standard application process. After you get the SSI license, you need to submit an application for consent of establishment to the state pollution control board. Along with this application you need to submit a project report giving details of the technology to be used. Some other documents are required for submission of the application. Each state pollution control board specifies its requirements.

What all licenses and clearances are required for starting an e-waste recycling business?

After getting the company registered and the mandatory licenses, you need a consent to establish, registration and consent to operate for e-waste recycling in that order.

What all documents do I need to submit to apply for consent to establish an e-waste recycling business?

Along with the application for consent to establish, you need to provide the following documents: Site plan / index Topographical Map Detailed plant layout including DG set capacity in KVA (part of our project report) Process Flow sheet (part of our project report) Details of water pollution / air pollution control systems (part of our project report) SSI sertificate or NOC from Directorate of Industries, Gov of Maharashtra Consent fees in form of DD in favour of the state PCB local Body NOC Undertaking on 20 Rs stamp paper or CA certificate about proposed investments

Can I import e-waste?

Yes, but e-waste is not an open import. It comes under hazardous waste and hence under restricted import list. An authorized recycler can import scrap for recycling. (Under Hazardous Waste Management, Handling and Transboundry Movement Rules, 2008). Appropriate documentation is required along with a consent from the ministry of environment for each consignment to be imported.

What is the procedure to import scrap?

You need the permission from environment ministry to import e-scrap. Detailed procedure can be obtained from CBEC (Central Board of Excise and Customs).

Is any kind of environmental clearance required? Where do you get it?

Environmental Clearance is not required for the current Respose process. In case you need it for any purpose later, EC can be obtained from the Central Pollution Control Board.

Do I need to have the facility in a registered state industrial development corporation jurisdiction/ industrial zone?

It is not required to have the facility in an industrial zone. However, it is easier to get the required licenses, power, water supply, transportation facility etc. While not mandatory, it is recommended to be in an industrial area. Kindly also note that e-waste recycling is a red zone activity.

e-Waste Technology Related

What is the complete process of Respose e-waste recycling plant?

Respose e-waste recycling plant focusses on recycling metals from PCBs and wires. The plant is based on a dry size reduction technology and a gravity separation process for separating metals and plastic and epoxy powder. We recommend to start with a depopulation system either with or without automated machinery. The base boards are then processed in the PCB recycling plant. The output of the plant is in 3 fractions : Ferrous fraction, metal fraction, Epoxy and Plastic powder.

Is this a dry or wet technology?

In the process promoted by Respose. L1 and L2 processes are completely dry mechanical processes. L3 process is a mix of dry and wet processes.

What is the power consumption of the machinery?

Respose Startup plant has a consumption of about 40 HP and depending on the configuration and capacity of the plant, it can go upto 300 HP.

What is the water requirement of the machinery?

For the currently available machinery (without precious metal recovery), the water requirement is restricted to cooling of the furnace. This is about 100 litres per day.

What are the consumables required? What is the frequency of changing them?

Cutting blades and choppers, Grinding liners, bearings, oil, oil seals and v-belt are the consumables. The frequency of change will depend on your total usage of the mills and the type of material that you feed in. Considering that you follow the operating instructions and the machine is run well within its operating limits, the blades can last for about 6 months to a year. This is one important differentiator. Our blades are among the longest lasting in the industry.

What is the downtime required for maintenance?

The machine maintenance downtime is not more than 2-4 hours for any standard maintenance procedure such as changing blades, replacing a belt, etc.

What kind of maintenance is required?

The machines are designed to have an extremely low maintenance. Regular oiling of the machines, following standard operating procedures as per our operating manual, etc will ensure that the machines require as low maintenance as possible. Usually the maintenance required will be for changing the consumables such as blades, air filters, pulley belts etc.

What kind of support can I get for post warranty maintenance?

Post Warranty, you can get all the required spares at a standard cost. On site support if required can also be provided at a cost determined at that point in time.

How do I increase the capacity of the plant?

Plant capacity can be increased by adding some machines and by slightly modifying the plant design. Alternatively, a parallel plant can be setup to directly double the capacity.

Is your machinery certified by the Pollution Control Board?

As of now, Pollution Control Board does not 'certify' any machinery. However, our customers are given authorization based on the inspection and certification of the process and verification of the pollution control measures.